The Environmental Protection Commission’s Solid & Hazardous Waste Section is involved in many areas of environmental regulation, all pertaining to the management of solid and hazardous waste. The primary focus of the Section is the proper management of solid and hazardous waste through either appropriate disposal or recycling. In order to effectively carry out its responsibilities, the Solid & Hazardous Waste Section is charged with the enforcement of a number of state and local environmental regulations.
- The county-wide investigation and resolution of solid and hazardous waste related complaints.
- The maintenance of permit and compliance files related to both EPC and FDEP permitted solid waste management facilities and old landfills and abandoned dumpsites.
- The participation in educationally oriented public and private speaking engagements.
- The review and evaluation of applications for Director’s Authorization to operate solid waste management facilities in Hillsborough County. Some of which are also jointly permitted by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP).
- The routine compliance inspection of EPC authorized and state permitted solid waste management facilities operating in Hillsborough County.
- The routine monitoring of 176 old landfills and abandoned dumpsites currently known to exist throughout Hillsborough County.
View interactive map of Historic Solid Waste Disposal Areas.